International Yoga Day 2020; Yoga at Home With Family -Celebrations at College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar on 21-06-2020
International Day of Yoga (IDY), Yoga day or Antarashtriya Yoga Divas is an annual event celebrated all over the world on June 21 since its inception in 2015. The idea of IDY was first proposed by Prime Minister Sri. Narendra Modi during his speech at the UNGA, on September 27, 2014. Later, IDY was declared unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on December 11, 2014. The Prime Minister suggested the date of 21 June in his UN address, as it is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shares special significance in many parts of the world. Every year, June 21 is recognized as International Yoga Day but due to social distancing measures adopted by most countries, the theme set by United Nations for this year is “Yoga for Health – Yoga at Home”. “Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being,” he said. International Yoga Day was conducted consecutively for the sixth year at College of Agriculture, Rajendranagar, PJTSAU, Hyderabad. The NSS wing has organized International Yoga day by following the guidelines of Ministry of Ayush. The following acivities were taken up on this occassiion:
- NSS Programme officers have displayed Yoga charts inside the college
- The NSS volunteers have prepared posters, videos on Yoga and posted in different whatsapp groups to create awareness about Yoga.
- On this occasion essay writing competition was conducted on “Importance of Yoga in Covid -19” to the NSS volunteers on 20.06.2020 to create interest among the students
- The volunteers also participated in quiz competition organized by Ministry of AYUSH.
- NSS Pos have posted virtual yoga and meditation event registration link in NSS volunteers whatsapp groups on “2020’s biggest virtual event on International Day of Yoga” organized on 21.06.2020 by United Nations Information Office and Ministry of Ayush.
- Arranged for live streaming of Doordarshan programme on Yoga on 21-06-2020.
- NSS Programme Officers and volunteers have performed common Yoga protocol along with their family members within the confine of their home on 21.06.2020 at 7.00 AM and actively participated in this virtual event and performed different Yoga asanas.
- Yoga can be beneficial for those who suffer from lifestyle diseases and fitness disorders.
- There is a huge range of exercises and yoga poses that give a holistic healing power to the body, mind and soul. As most people don’t have ample time to spend time at the gym or attend fitness classes, yoga is a blessing.
- The NSS Programme officers, Dr. B. Padmaja, Dr. B. V. Vara Prasad, Dr.K. Pavanchandra Reddy, Dr. Ameer Basha, Dr.Saida Naik, Dr. A. Meena and Mrs. K. Aruna organized and participated the International Yoga Day.